Muscle - pump - is a subjective feeling of fullness and seal muscles after exercise, often with multiple repetitions of monotonous movement. A pump is associated with the increase in muscle volume due to the increased blood supply and tissue edema. The increase in the volume of muscle cells occurs as a result of the massive inflow of sugar and other substances osmotic, pulling water, the cell membrane becomes more permeable.
There are different variations in the concept of a pump:
The cosmetic pump is the pump that is achieved before a performance or photo shoot, in order to make large amounts and relief. Using this technique, you can increase muscle volume by 10 - 20%
Productive pumping is achieved in the process of training, to stimulate muscle growth.
The drugs pumping is achieved through the use of special sports nutrition.
Today there is no unanimous opinion about the benefits of pumping for bodybuilding. Accurate data, backed by research are not available. However, there are facts for and against pumping in bodybuilding.
Typically, the pumping is achieved through a large number of repetitions, the number of which exceeds 15. Currently sports medicine strongly believes that mnogoobraznye sets is ineffective if the goal is increase muscle mass. The fact that this approach involves the use of small weights, which are much weaker stimulate the muscles to growth. And this is proved by dozens of experiments.
Training with many repetitions has, as a rule, one pronounced effect is muscle pain that occurs due to the accumulation of lactic acid, acidification of the extracellular environment and the formation of other metabolic products. Lactic acid is the result of anaerobic glycolysis in the muscles, in other words - slag. It is believed that breakdown products of nutrients, or toxins (including lactic acid), have a growth promoting effect on muscle and cause increased secretion of testosterone.
In the words of Gunter, apparently, lies the explanation of the biochemical meaning of the saying "Without pain there is no progress in bodybuilding"; at the head of weight training aimed at gaining muscle mass, is including lactic acid. However, keep in mind that muscle pain may be of a pathological nature
See main article: muscle Pain after workout
In addition, the use of pump supports increased circulation. The blood supplies the muscle of oxygen and various nutrients, the muscle tissues become more resistant to stress and recover more quickly. High blood flow to eliminate from the muscles of excess lactic acid and restores the pH of the intercellular space, and it also helps to restore.
Exercises on pumps are particularly recommended for those who started bodybuilding recently.
- Drop sets (Drop sets)
- Supersets (Supersetting)
- Preliminary fatigue
- Incineration (Burns)
- Partial repetitions (Partials)
- The Negatives (Negatives)
- Peak reduction
- Forced repetition (Forced reps)
- Especially useful exercises on the pump foot. It is well known that the muscles of the legs, with particular success respond to a large number of repetitions. It will be to exercise on a pump. The best option for quads and calf muscles: exercises to pre fatigue, forced reps and burns.
The pumping of the biceps:
- curls with dumbbells while sitting or standing with a barbell
- curls with dumbbells while sitting on an inclined bench
- bending hands with a barbell on the bench Scott from the position 90°
A pump on triceps:
- extension of the arms with the EZ-bar reverse grip
- extension of the arms with the EZ-bar regular grip
- extension arms with dumbbells "hammer"
- The drugs pumping Edit
Modern sports nutrition offers a wide range of additives for pumping.
The most popular:
- Pre-workout complexes (often with arginine and creatine)
- Fat burners
- The main Supplement for pumps is widely recognized as arginine. This amino acid is a source of NO, which dilates blood vessels and causes a pump. Creatine acts as an osmotic agent, entering the cell, he pulls the water. Many fat burners contain vasodilators, which also provide the pumping